Friday, October 12, 2007

Goodbye Rocky and Fish Go Deep


Rocky got a new "Do" last night and he was pretty dry this morning. He had water in the other end of the cooler but stayed up on the little shelf last night. I wanted to paint him as brightly as possible so I could see him fairly well when he's down in the water - and so I could recognize him easily from other turtles that might move into the pond.
He didn't eat anything the whole time I had him out and I just gave up on catching the catfish because I want to get him back in the pond. I did have a suggestion to use shrimp to try to catch the fish and I may try that but I won't be putting it down at the bottom of the pond and leaving it. I don't want to catch Rocky again as he's had enough trouble.
It's been real cool the last couple of days and today when I got down to the pond no one was there waiting for food except for some tiny bluegill. I was told they wouldn't be eating once it got cold but I thought they'd kinda slack off slowly. I did manage to see some larger bass and bluegill out past where the deep part begins and I threw food out there. It was taken but not nearly as eagerly as usual. They sure do slack off and all of a sudden too. It will be warming up a bit tomorrow - we'll see if they return or are gone for good.
I guess once they are gone I'll be shutting this blog down for the winter myself! I don't like being cold either and when the days get gray it's just dreadful!
I took a little video of the release of Rocky. He started out pretty slowly but picked up speed as he went. I saw him about an hour later for an instant and I put some hot dog pieces and bread over where he was. I hope he finds them and eats. Poor Rocky!