Friday, September 7, 2007

Football and bass and my little cornerback

Well here he is and I'm calling him Chigger. He's quite the character and even though he's always there I just don't seem to see him for some reason. The larger bass come right up to the front and have their spots but Chigger is kinda little and can't get in there with the big boys so he stays way out there about five feet to the left of the others where he won't be noticed by them. He hides in with the bluegill and tries to blend in and does a pretty good job. He sits over there and stays still and watches me evidently like a hawk - or like a real good cornerback? Champ Bailey look out you have competition here! You just aren't invisible like Chigger here and I think that this little bass might be a better cornerback. Why, just let me tell you how great an interceptor he is.

Chigger sits way over there on the left sideline right at the edge of the pond about 5 feet away (now considering his size and all this would be probably equal to.. well dang old math anyway.. he's only maybe 6-7 inches so 5 foot is a LONG way). The other fish are within just a couple of inches of where the food will land and as I reach up for the pass ole Chigger over there is waiting (I still don't see him). As I release the ball... er food... Chigger starts to move and out of the corner of my eye I see a streak of speeding, flashing scales hurling through the water towards where the ball will land. Unerringly correct in his judgement every time, Chigger, with his mouth open, will intercept the ball - um - food, never stopping or even slowing down and continue on making a sharp turn to the left and down the right sideline, chomping the ball in his mouth, before big ole Crybaby, George and the others barely get a chance to twitch. On to the finish line he streaks and the touchdown is made. The crowd roars and Chigger is again victorious and the sneakiest little Cornerback in the pond. He's ready for the NFL I'm telling you, he's good! Really something to see... Gotta admire the little dude....

That's all for today - the pond is yucky today with scum on top. I could barely see the little faces down there to feed. I'm not looking forward to losing my good visibility. I need to learn so much more about keeping the water clear but can't get past all the hype on all the sites trying to sell me something. I sure wish someone that really knows would help me sort it all out.

Bye for now.