Friday, September 14, 2007

Chicken Lips' Fish


There's a little girl about 12 years old that lives across the street from me that comes over several times a week. This is her favorite fish in the pond and as I call the little girl affectionately, Chicken Lips, I have been calling this bluegill "Chicken Lips' Fish". It's very unusual in it's coloration - kinda a whitish gray with a few stripes towards it's tail. It's hard to tell in this photo but Chicken Lips' Fish is a plump little fish, almost like a tubby goldfish. She's about 5-6 inches long I guess. She acts just like the other bluegill as far as I can see but she's pretty cute - just like the little girl from across the street. I hope she never becomes a teenager!

Yesterday the pond was clear but there was a haze over the top that got worse the longer I stayed. We had rain last night and I hope it's still clear today. I sure hope my pond never gets back to where it was when I couldn't see my fish.

My next mower will have a bagger so I can get all the leaves and dead grasses from the area around the pond. I still want to leave the grass long but when the fall comes I'd like to get all the dead stuff I can up so it doesn't get in the pond. This year I can use a rake and bag it all. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet about what falls in the pond. I want to keep as much vegetation as I can out of here so the pond doesn't get fertilized.

Maybe by next year I can have some sort of aerator.