Friday, September 14, 2007

Busy day at the pond

Today was really a busy day at the pond and commercial fish food, bread and hot dogs were on the menu. In attendance were just about everyone except La Torpeda and she didn't come yesterday either. I wonder what's keeping her? Hope she feels OK. There were all kinds of goin' ons today! First off when I got down there I went through the usual routine and looked in to see who was there. There were the usual gazillion bluegill and about half a dozen bass. As soon as I started throwing in the commercial feed (only about a cup) all the bass ran away... That was unusual... Oh well... I don't know what was up with that but they returned one by one in a few minutes and brought friends with them. I bet about ten or fifteen bass showed up today in total and I finally ran out of hot dogs before they were even full. Diamond Jim showed up starved to death and I bet ate a whole hot dog all by himself.

After the first couple of minutes I leaned down when I noticed a bit of movement on one of my cement blocks. There was the little brown snake I thought was longggg gone. I hadn't seen that little snake in a couple of months and thought maybe a hawk had gotten him. He's only about 2 and a half feet long. He disappeared really quickly and I didn't see him again for awhile.

About 15 minutes later I saw Smiling Sally heading to the far side of the pond. She eventually ended up where I feed Ole Sam Bass and caught a fish or frog or something over there. I could see her thrashing around and then lift up in the air real high and something wiggling. It's pretty far across the pond so I couldn't identify what she had exactly. I didn't see her again for about an hour until she swam up right where I was sitting.

She parked right over where Meanandlean hunts and they proceeded to eyeball each other for a LONG LONG time. Now you should be able to click on the photo and enlarge it. Mean and lean is just to the left of Smiling Sally and the two of them sat like that for 30 minutes. I kept trying to get a video because I thought any second one of them would jump or something but they wouldn't move. I even threw in a couple little pieces of hot dog and they just sat there mesmerized. They were both hunting and perhaps they were working in tandem. Who knows?