Thursday, October 4, 2007

Stupid Me

The pond was beautiful and really clear and I was met by a whole slew of fish today, mostly bass. Most of my larger bluegill are still staying way out in the pond and won't come in to shallow waters. I thought I had gotten some really great photos but the glare from clouds evidently messed things all up. I thought I had some good ones of La Torpeda, my largest bass, too and she's a hard one to get photos of. Diamond Jim was there, George, Crybaby and many bass I don't even have names for and can't recognize by sight. Everyone was eating hot dogs just fine except for you-know-who who needed the extra encouragement of a fake "hot dog" wiggle worm on occasion which he very reluctantly ate - sometimes...

I made a video and as you see he isn't overly eager... He makes me sick... I can wiggle, wiggle, wiggle the worm and he'll come S L O W L Y sliding in like a snail almost yawning in boredom... He's a beast... I should catch him and put him in a frying pan but I won't. When I put a video in here it comes out real small and hard to see. I put the same video in photobucket and put a link to it and it might be a bit better: http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee58/bassponder/?action=view&current=wormeater.flv

I guess I had a spell of oxygen deprivation or great idiocy or just plain old stupidity today because I proceeded to do the darnedest thing that is going to really set me back some... The grey water ditch line is still being dug at my house so I had some of those big, giant, juicy worms. I know how much ole Meanandlean likes them so I thought I'd give him a special treat... See where I'm going here or are you as much of a bonehead as I am?

For the boneheads like me I will continue - Yes, I did it. I fed ole butthead four or five yummy worms! You think he would eat a hot dog chunk after that? I don't think so! He stayed right around wanting to eat more but he wasn't about to eat an old piece of Bar S Brand fake worm... Ain't no way Jose! Jeez Louise what did I do? He ran all the other bass out of the shallow waters again today.

Hotdog didn't show his face. He might be in his little house digesting his big meal of yesterday.

It rained a sprinkle while I was there. Didn't see any turtles.

I got a call back from the Kentucky State University Aquaculture Department. I had a long talk with them and an aerator was recommended for my pond that works real well, isn't made from cheap parts, doesn't require a lot of maintenance (I won't be cleaning out clogged lines), and actually aerates and just doesn't circulate water in the pond (which is what a lot of them do if you do the research). I still have to put electricity back there and won't be able to do that until next year but at least I know what I'm going to do now and that's a big relief.