Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Monster Lives In My Pond
























You can click on all photos to
enlarge them.

I thought this was a real funny photo I took today of Meanandlean and the caption was just right for the expression on his face.

If you look closely at the bluegill you can see they don't believe a word of it...

The pond was real clear - a lot more clear than it's supposed to be. A healthy pond isn't supposed to be nearly as clear as mine is getting to be. I hate to add any lime though because I know one good rain and it will be back to poor visibility - like it should be I guess... Not that I'm happy about that. I'm going to enjoy the clear pond while I can as I had pea soup the last few years and this is the very first time I've had any visibility at all. My photos turned out all cloudy again but I moved my spot and took more photos and just a change about 20 foot away made all the difference in the world. I'm going to have to cut out a spot tomorrow so I can sit down and be able to see through the grasses.

Hotdog the snake is back today after a two days absence. He has completely digested those two fish I gave him a couple of days ago and doesn't even show a lump at all. He's back hunting his heart out again and, as usual, not catching a thing. I'll get to feeling sorry for him in time probably and have to feed him again.

Quite a few bass showed today but when the ole meanie came in they had to leave. The bluegill still haven't gotten over the fishing my sister did a week or two ago so they hang way out. I'm going to have to find out just how long fish can retain a memory. Seems like it's pretty long to me. Again, I'm amazed...

The water is such a pretty color now. Be sure to click on the photo. You can see the fish way, way out into the pond if they are near the surface.

My poor little dock thing I made myself... As you can see it's all shifted and twisted now. It wasn't like that until the water got really low and when it comes back up I guess it will turn itself back.

I didn't know it but I don't need all those barrels under it - probably just need one but I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than to put my feet down in that mud over there and try to get one or two out. The mud right over there is the yuckiest and you can actually sink up to your knees!!!!! That's like watching a horror movie all alone in the dark and you hear a large bang in your kitchen! I just am not going to do it. NOT ME! Right past the end of the dock the water gets real deep and goes as deep as about 15 foot - not now though!

You know I spend an awful lot of time just sitting and looking at the pond and I still get surprised by the things that go on in there but today I saw something that made my heart jump in my throat. I tried to get photos but wasn't able to time it right. When I was standing right where I was when I took these last photos and looking way out, I saw a shadow right under the surface of the water that was HUGE and MOVING! I waited for a bit and saw it several times. I had the commercial fish feed thrown in over there out where the deep green part is and that's where I saw it.

I jumped in my cart and rushed back to the house screaming for my husband. He has got to take it OUT! I can't imagine how many of my fish that creature must be eating everyday... It has to be a BIG catfish! Now I know I have ONE catfish that comes on the other side of the pond that's a bit shy that will take some hot dog pieces but it's small and I put it in myself this year. That thing I saw today was the creature from the black lagoon! I'm sick about it! My husband said he'd catch it for me. He's going to go to Walmart and get some larger hooks and livers or something and put some lines in the pond tonight. I think it's bigger than he thinks it is. He probably needs to catch a bluegill or two and put them on hooks and lay them in the bottom of the pond. I don't want him catching anything small - I want that big thing caught!

Well, when it's caught I'll be SURE to get photos.

Until tomorrow....

No comments: