Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Double, double, toil and trouble

Around noon I went to the pond today and just in time for Halloween what did I find? Egads. Of course, as usual, the photo enlarges if you click on it. Thanks to our old pal Macbeth, a perfect description came to mind for what I saw....

Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire, burn; and caldron, bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Maybe the rain will come tonight and wash it all away... Yesterday it was a red color and today it's an icky black scum and all on the side I feed where the breeze has blown it. I threw food out blindly today and it wasn't a bit fun. Afterwards I headed down to the nursery at the end of the pond and was throwing out the baby food (fish flakes from Walmart) when Hotdog the snake popped up from behind a big chunk of grass out in the water and headed towards me. He evidently had seen the movement of the baby fish eating and was closing in for a meal. He was only about a foot from my feet when my phone rang in the cart. I slowly eased backwards hoping he wouldn't latch on to my pink shoes. I'm crippled and would have fallen flat in the mud for sure trying to get him unattached from my foot. That would have made a good video though - old lady in pajamas mud wrestles snake - gosh, I could send that in to American's funniest videos.
I haven't seen the other two snakes, Brownie or Smiling Sally in some time now. For that matter I haven't seen Leanandmean since he caught that fish and swam away. I hope the pond clears and I can see what's going on down there soon...