Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rocky and Hotdog

My sister has gone back across the U.S. and I hate it. Some how I need to get her to move out here. I need help feeding all these fish and animals. The pond critters are just a drop in the bucket and there are many more creatures around the place that get fed and watched.

On Sunday after all the bass had been fed I had thrown a piece of bread down by Hotdog who was fishing by the concrete blocks. I threw the bread down there hoping a little bluegill would come close enough for him to catch. Watching him I don't think he sees very well as it take quite a bit of movement to get him to strike. Anyway, as I watched I saw Rocky tip toeing his way around the edges of the pond looking for scraps. I know snapping turtles are supposed to be these voracious fish eaters but the ones in my pond always seems to be ignoring all the fish and tiptoeing along the bottom of the pond with their long necks stuck way out snaking back and forth looking for the most part like a wingless vulture eyeballing a nice piece of road kill. They do a real good job of keeping the bottom of the pond clean of anything dead that's for sure... It's funny to watch them and they move so differently from the red eared slider turtles in the pond who swim around instead of tiptoeing along.

I'm getting off of my story as usual... Rocky is on his way and making a beeline - in a swervy snapping turtle kinda way - right for where Hotdog is fishing. I get the camera and turn it on. The video is what happens next. Rocky sees or smells or finds the bread and heads toward it. Hotdog, sensing the movement and thinking he's going to get a meal strikes and bites Rocky right on the side of the head. Rocky doesn't flinch. Hotdog realizes a mistake, strikes again and gets bread (yuk), then realizes there is something too big to tangle with in the water with him and leaves. Rocky knew he got bit but still wants the bread so takes it runs with it. Rocky eats the bread and in a few minutes Hotdog came back to fish again.

Earlier that that I threw hotdogs in for the bass and commercial food for La Torpeda and the bluegill and bread. Hotdog again grabbed a piece of hotdog like the other day and I got a tiny video of it with him looking up at me with it in his mouth. Cute but he just sat there. I glanced down to change the setting on the camera to take a photo and when I looked back he was gone.

Now much later on Sunday three of us went fishing, caught up some bluegill, fried them up with Zataran's fish fry coating and I made hushpuppies. YUM YUM. I need to catch about a jillion more bluegill.

Yesterday the pond looked awful and there is some kind of red algae crud hanging on the top. I hope it's gone today as I hate trying to strain to see in the water. Rain is in the forecast and I sure hope we get some. I haven't put any more concrete blocks or rocks or anything in there where I want to put a little place to stand. Maybe I'll go to the hardware store and buy some today.