Friday, September 21, 2007

Meanandlean Gets Lucky and Ole Sam Eats Grasshopper

Click the photo to enlarge.

Look at poor Meanandlean's little face! His skin is hanging off the side and the top of his face is all skinned up! See? I told you it was pathetic. It has to be the concrete blocks and I'm going to go down there in a bit and throw a few rocks in.
One thing really good though did happen to him today while I was there. He FINALLY caught a meal. Whew! I thought that poor old bass was going to starve to death as bad as a hunter as he seemed to be. He always seemed to be missing every meal! Today I threw in a big piece of bread right in front of him and a bunch of bluegill made a dive for it as usual. He decided to dive right in the middle of them and make a grab for the bluegill! The first time he got a big bite of bread which he quickly gagged out but I threw in another piece of bread and that time I saw him swimming away towards the center of the pond with a pretty good sized trophy! Hooray for Meanandlean! I waited a good 45 minutes to see if he would return to hunt some more today but he didn't. I feel better about him knowing he might not starve to death.
Most of my other bass are still paranoid about what my sister did yesterday and although they ate they hung back further from the bank than they usually do. A LOT further. Maybe ten feet further! Also, every time I'd stand up a lot of them would start moving away - some at a pretty good clip. Dang. Doesn't take long for them to learn... I can't believe they would remember from yesterday but it seems those fish have a thing or two to teach ME...
I went around and fed the babies then on to see if Ole Sam Bass was around today (He hangs out on the far side of the pond). He was there and as I hardly ever get any photos of him I decided to take a little video of him eating grasshoppers. I guess I should remind you that Ole Sam won't eat any fish food or anything else I throw in except grasshoppers - green ones that is... Brown ones are yucky and I will have nightmares from the evil eye he gives me if I try to trick him. I took three little videos and am going to put up one here. It's a trick trying to aim a camera with my right hand and push the button and throw a grasshopper with my left hand but I managed. Ole Sam is a stinker and the meanest bass in the pond. He will even try to make a run at me from time to time but I'm much more afraid of the grasshoppers than I am of him. Enjoy the video and until tomorrow... See ya at the bass pond.

No comments: