Friday, September 28, 2007

Of Spoiled Bass, Kids and Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

I remember when I was little and my poor old Mom would cut my sandwiches into tepees. I don't recall why but she gladly reminded me today. If she cut the sandwich any other way I just would not eat it. What a brat face.

Now I guess I'm being paid back and by a bass of all things... At least I didn't have to dig up any old worms today. Meanandlean looked the best he has ever looked. I hardly recognized him! He looks like he gained a pound and he no longer has that horrible gaunt - going to die tomorrow - super model look to him. Those worms really did him good but I just can't dig worms everyday. I didn't have even one to mix with the hot dogs for odor either so I guess it's all about sight (obviously) for a bass. I took two little videos of him eating today and decided to put up this one but they are about the same I guess. I still haven't dragged out my video camera but I intend to - maybe tomorrow.

I don't know how much bass eat but all total Meanandlean ate six hot dogs by himself today. I didn't have that many cut into "worms" and had to go back to the house for more. The package of hot dogs is 12 oz and there is 8 to a pack. Someone else will have to do the math. He ate a lot more weight in worms than that yesterday. He was bulging when he left today but nothing like yesterday.

One thing he did was when I'd throw a "worm" kinda far and he wouldn't take it (maybe he thought another fish would get it first?) it would float up. He would never eat them then. The bluegill would worry with them and make them dance a bit and he might go over to inspect but he'd look at it real well, decide it wasn't alive, then swim off. He would only take one if I held it up for him to see then threw it in. I'm going to have a hard life having to hand feed a bass everyday... I wish he was a better hunter. Maybe when he grows a bit he will be.

The rest of the bass ate as usual. I bought the Purina Game Chow and they weren't impressed with it. I understand it's supposed to be oily. Maybe this was old because it was dry as a bone. I'm going to take it back and see if they won't replace it. I fed bread and hot dogs.

I've been getting help (and they haven't even laughed at me - at least publicly) from a pond forum online. I want to provide a link and definitely a recommendation. I am pestering them to death with questions and have subscribed to their magazine. I looked a long time on line everywhere before I found something like this and am really glad to have found them: http://www.pondboss.com/

Two snapping turtles tiptoed in today. I had on a turquoise shirt and bluejeans if that made a difference. Could be that it wasn't the color that made a difference but that the turtles just can't stand to see an old lady in PJs! I'll have to get dressed before I go to the pond I guess - they don't want to make it easy on me. They looked me over pretty well but came on in and I got them on video. One I hadn't seen before and he's larger than any of the others I've seen in the pond. He was also a lot more leery of me and ended up running off. I don't have a name for him - I'll post a video here - any name suggestions?

Hotdog the snake was there and didn't catch anything as usual. Poor little snake. I know they talk about those water snakes biting and all but maybe they have to strike at everything just in case it's something they can eat. I see him strike a dozen times while I'm there at least and miss. Awful... Some how I'm going to feed him.

Now as a side note - even though it's not about the pond it's a funny story that happened last night:

What happened was this...

My poor, patient, husband went out to the bluegrass pickin last night and I went to bed. My phone was in bed with me and rang at 1:30 AM. In my sleep I picked it up and started pushing buttons trying to answer it. I was half awake and confused and instead of answering I called my poor old Mom (she's almost 80). I heard her voice and kinda told her that my husband was calling and I was trying to answer the phone. She hung up. I called her again. Same thing. Still trying to answer the phone or call my husband back (who knows) I called my Mom again and evidently hung up on her. She called me back demanding to know what was going on Bahahhahahaa.

All this time I kept hearing a car in the dirveway gunning the engine and going up and down the driveway (What?) I am so confused and trying to take off my sleep apnea mask and tumbling outta bed, the dog is barking, things are crazy. I go look out the window and see the car pulling up and down the driveway all zig-zaggy. My husband doesn't drink but is driving up and down the driveway crazy like a drunk going back and forth swerving. I thought, "Did they give him some shine over at the pickin or what?" WHAT THE HOO????????

Finally he parks and comes RUNNING to the door and tries to HURRILY open it. It's locked and I open it quickly for him.

WHEW.

What had happened is he couldn't get out of the car because when he pulled up there was Pepe Le Pew standing with tail raised right on the ramp to the porch ready to take aim and fire if he got out of the car. He backed down the drive quickly and when he pulled back up Le Pew had moved to the middle of the driveway. This went on and on and each time he came back up the drive Pepe Le Pew had moved but not far enough away for him to get in the house unscathed... Such is life in the country....

Until tomorrow